Monday, June 6, 2011

Paris est Magique!

Another wonderful holiday with wonderful people. My godmothers arrived in London on the 21st of May. Many plans and itinerary's in hand, I knew I wouldn't have to do much planning for this holiday. The first week of their visit had me sticking around home incase I had to teach and them touring around England. But the second week was Paris!
What a fantastic, beautiful, magical, brilliant, lush place! To be able to see so many monumental sights in a day is surreal. We started our journey by train. It is a nicer more relaxing way to travel then flying. A short two and half hour journey gave us time to see some french country side and admire the beauty. Alright, I did sleep some of the way, but only when we were in the chunnel so there was nothing to see anyway. We found the exit to the train station to where the taxi stand was. What a line up, it took us an hour to get a taxi. It was a good thing that the sun was out and we had the entertainment of some drunks perched on the side of the road to keep us occupied. While in line we were approached by some younger girls with paper, all they did was motion to sign this paper, but said nothing. It was a scam, they were apparently deaf and wanting donations for some program. Funny thing is later seeing them walking with another member of their 'deaf club' talking away obviously fully able to hear. Finally getting into our taxi we were off to the hotel. My neck started hurting so much as I was trying to see everything. We crossed the Seine river towards the Eiffel tower and I'll tell you the first time I saw the Eiffel tower I was completely in awe! Like, really am I really seeing this in person! Our hotel happened to be just a hop, skip and a jump away from the tower so I could gaze at it many times. The hotel was called Tulipe, and it was this little yellow cute building down this narrow road. All the buildings on the street were grey except for our hotel. Our room was small but extremely quaint, and it had a bathtub! We settled in and then went for a walk towards the Seine River. I had to continue to tell myself that I was in Paris! I got to reflecting as I was walking, on all of the amazing places and things I have seen this year. (But that is another blog in itself, you know a touchy feely one). I do realize how fortunate I have been this year!
After walking and sightseeing for awhile it was time for a drink! Finding a cute little bar on another cute little street I ordered a mojito. Can I say expensive, 11 euros! No matter where we looked everything seemed to be that expensive. As I am on a limited budget, I knew that I wouldn't be doing too much expensive drinking. Especially since you could go to the grocery store and buy a bottle of wine for 5 euros. So this is what we did, bought wine, fresh baguettes, cheese and a few other odds and sods. We gladly enjoyed our first night in Paris in our hotel sipping wine and discussing our adventures to come. I also indulged in a bubble bath, my first one in months!
Our second day had us taking a tour through the Louvre! We sat outside at our hotel and had breakfast and coffee in the sunshine. So relaxing and beautiful. We had left plenty of time to take a taxi to where the tour was suppose or where we thought it was suppose to start. Only to discover that we were in the wrong place, so we were directed to another location, which we found with only some difficulties. But, it turned out to be the wrong place. So the tour was to start in 15 minutes and we are not at the check in point. Betty has limited mobility and can only walk for so long. So I left them at the Louvre and I started running to another location I was directed to. I arrived at the stand which was a few streets away from the Louvre and signed in (I must add this was the original place the taxi took us, but because it wasn't at the Louvre we figured he was wrong). I explained that there were two other members of my party waiting inside the Louvre, this originally didn't go over well as they were suppose to be at this location. I explained the situation and was told that I would have to recognize my family when we got closer (like I wouldn't), so they could join us. I waited with the group to start our tour. While waiting I recognized one of the ladies in the group. I approached her and wouldn't you know she is from Medicine Hat and works at my dental office. What a small world! Finally the tour began and I was reunited with Betty and Marie. They were starting to worry about me, thinking about bad things that could have happened to poor me in Paris. It is a good thing I am use to doing things on my own know. The tour was fantastic, I had to pinch myself as I was looking at the Mona Lisa. I saw the Venus de Milo, the Winged Victory and the Slave sculptures by Michelangelo and Cupid's kiss. (Pictures will be on facebook). It was only noon and I had already seen more memorable things then I could have imagined. From the tour we walked to the Hop on Hop off bus stop. Along the way I saw some kids being chased by undercover cops, they were all lined up to be searched. Obviously they were suspected for pick pocketing as we were continuously warned about this. (That is two places now I have seen take downs, Barcelona and Paris). We boarded the bus took a seat at the top in the sunshine. The plan was to take it all the way around to see the sights, leaving the next day for when we would get off at specific places. I was overwhelmed at what I saw just on the bus. The Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame, Effiel Tower, Champs Elysees, and the Paris Opera House (where the Phantom is), just to name a few. When we finally got off the bus, we walked again along the Seine river discussing all that we had seen, we each chose one thing that we had to do the next day. Exhausted from the day we had a light supper, including red wine and chocolate! We then relaxed for the night. I am pretty sure I was asleep by 10.
Up again early so that I could climb the Eiffel tower! We got to the tower at 9 and there were already massive lines. It is a good thing that most people want to take the lifts all the way up, because the line to take the stairs was a lot shorter. It was a beautiful morning, the sun was out and I was climbing the stairs of the Eiffel tower! Really! It didn't take long to get to the 2nd floor where many people stop, but not me I was going to the top. Unfortunately, the only way to the top is by lift, so I was in line for what seemed forever. But was it ever worth it! The view from the top was breathtaking. Being able to look out and in the distance see the Arc de Triomphe and the Louvre was fantastic. Although it was stupid busy up there, I was able to be still and reflect on the beauty of where I was. Once back at the ground floor I stood in the centre of the tower and admired the view looking up, realizing that I had just been to the top of one of the most recognizable places in the world. Our next stop was Marie's choice we went the Notre Dame. The line up was short and the admission was free. This is another beautiful cathedral, with mesmerizing stained glass. There was a mass going on at the time and it felt weird in a way to be in there listening to it in French, I am not sure why it felt weird, maybe because it has been so long since I have been to church. Although I describe the feeling as weird it was a peaceful weird. The cathedral is massive, on the inside you can't see how massive it is. We stayed and had a sandwich outside, I had a glass of pop that cost me 5.50 euros! Ouch! We then headed to Betty's choice, L'orangerie. This is the gallery where Monet's Water Lilly paintings are. Not that I have any sort of artistic eye, or knowledge of this it still was an honour to see something so famous in person. I had no idea that the paintings were as big as they are. It is easy to sit and get lost in the painting, daydreaming, being alone in one's own thoughts. Even though we had already had such a memorable day we weren't done. We headed to the Seine Rivere where we were taking a champagne tasting river cruise. How picturesque cruising down the river, champagne in hand watching the sights. Paris really is the city of love. Along the river there were people embracing, cuddling, dancing, drinking totally engulfed with their company. A peaceful, and romantic sight. It was neat to see some of the sights from a different angle including the Eiffel tower. I think I have about 30 if not more pictures just of the tower. I seemed to be taken into it each time I saw it, entranced in its beauty. The cruise was an hour long, where we tasted 3 different kinds of champagne, a perfect way to start the evening. When we disembarked we stopped at a bar along the river and shared our pictures over a mojito. We then travelled back under the Eiffel tower towards a small French restaurant. We enjoyed a bottle of wine and I ate some fantastic salmon. I was eagerly awaiting the lights of the Eiffel tower to come one. When they finally did, it was magical! I was moved by how beautiful it was. I can't really describe how I felt as I watched it sparkle. I know I just felt emotional. I couldn't really take my eyes off of it. If you have been there before I am sure you know what I am talking about. As we walked back to the hotel, I watched the tower the whole way there, even when we got lost and took another half hour to get back, I wasn't bothered because the scenery was worth it.
The next day was our day trip out of Paris. The weather was not very friendly; cloudy, windy and cool. On the tour bus we headed to a small village called Giverny. This was the home of Monet and his gardens that inspired his Water Lily paintings. We walked through his gardens getting a glimpse of the sights Monet saw so many years ago. It was very picturesque, I could see the Willow tree that is in his painting and the blooming water lilies in the pond. A neat experience since, I had only been the day before admiring the original paintings. Part of our tour was to have lunch at a traditional french restaurant. The bus pulled off the main road onto what seemed like a beaten up path. Since we were in what seemed to be tht middle of no where I wasn't expecting too much from the restaurant. Out of nowhere the path opened up to this stunning house, with a fantastic waterfall. It was like out of a movie set. The meal was great, the wine was tasty and the company was wonderful. Our next stop was the Palace of Versailles. A very rich historic sight, beautiful for the time it was built. Listening to the history while going through the rooms was interesting, but I was turned off as it was so busy. You weren't given enough time to appreciate all that was there. You were rushed from room to room, being pushed and shoved. So the overall experience at the palace was rather disappointing. I would have like to do more sightseeing in Versailles itself, but the tour didn't have that scheduled. Oh well, means I need to go back again. After the tour ended the three of us shared our pictures and discussed our day over a glass of wine. We then went to a Thai restaurant for supper. The food was fantastic and the presentation was fabulous. The best meal we had had while in Paris. We ended our Paris adventure on a high note, feeling totally satisfied with what we had seen. Only wishing that we could take the scenery with us and hoping that our memories wouldn't fail us when remembering what we saw.
Up and to the train station, heading back to London for a night at the theatre. Very excited to be going to see Dirty Dancing as it happens to be one of my all time favourite movies. How could you go wrong with the happy music and the seductive dancing! The energy in the theatre was great, (even though the age of many of the attendees was way to young to have been around when the movie originally came out), was buzzing. The clapping, hooting and hollering during the infamous parts made the experience much more exciting. I would say that it was not as good as Billy Elliott, but it was still worth going to see.
And that is the end of another chapter of my year. Thank you to Betty and Marie for making my time in Paris even better as I was able to share it with you! I appreciate that you came all this way to see me and I am grateful for everything you have done for me.
Next a last minute vacation to Antalya, Turkey. An all-inclusive vacation to relax and reflect on what an amazing year I have had.

No comments:

Post a Comment