Tuesday, April 26, 2011

3 Generations on Vacation!

Where to start, the two weeks with my mom and grandma were jam packed with adventures. I am going to split our adventures into two post. One about England and the second about Spain. This way you won't have to read a massive long post, which you most likely would get bored with.

It was a hot day Friday the 8th of April. I wasn't too sure when mom and grandma would arrive. So I made plans to sit in the garden with a friend and drink champagne while catching some sun. Just as I was about to hit the garden, mom and grandma were on my doorstep at one in the afternoon (earlier than expected). Excited and tired from the long journey, I got there suitcases up the two flights of stairs then whisked them into the garden for a beer (and so that I could still have my champagne). Having enjoyed the sun for well over 3 hours and a bottle and then some vodka tonics, I was pleasantly happy. Mom and grandma had a small nap so they too were well refreshed. We enjoyed dinner at an Italian restaurant in Thame. Which then lead us to a local favourite of mine the James Figg, with the weather being mild we were able to be outside. Mom and grandma were both well excited to be here and they were in no way making this an early night. Grandma being grandma is always into having a dance or two, so there is only one place in Thame to Dance and that is the Black Horse. Not really the best place for grandmas but it is better than nothing. I do have a few more friends here then in the beginning so when we got to the horse we weren't really left alone. One of my younger male friends took grandma for a dance and well that just led to more dancing and wouldn't you know it, it was after 1 when we got home and after 3 when we went to bed. The first night is always the run away, right? I mean that is how it has been with my other visitors.
Day 2, we all slept in to late morning. Could be considered early afternoon! Thinking we had better do something productive we went for a walk around the town, looked in a few shops and then picked up some groceries. I was hankering for a home cooked meal by grandma. We went back to mine so that we could finalise our plans for Spain (well book it as we hadn't done any booking yet). I think I spent 4 hours on the computer, we were off to Spain on Monday. We had pork chops with mushroom soup gravy, potatoes and green beans. Yummy! Thanks grandma! After a friend showed up and we had a few drinks and laughs we headed out. We stopped at one of the pubs where there was Karaoke, it was packed. Not really the crowd that I wanted to be around, we decided to leave after one drink and head over to the Black Horse where they were having a 70s and 80s night. Well that was that, music that just makes a person happy. Again some friends took mom and grandma out to dance, everyone was happy. Great time, good pictures and some pretty funny moments! (What happens in England with your grandma stays in England!) Not as late this night, but late enough.
Day 3, another early afternoon wake up. This time, no one was wanting to move to fast. I was exhausted, I can't imagine that mom and grandma felt that great with being jet lagged and tired. I had to laugh everyone was a little stiff from all of the dancing. It was decided to go for a proper roast dinner. We all had roast beef and Yorkshire pudding which was fabulous at one of the locals! After which we decided to go for a true walk, I took them around the outskirts of town so they could get a better picture of the town I live in. Early night tonight as we were having to get up early to make it to Gatwick to make our morning flight to Spain.
I will go into Spain in the next post.
We arrived back into Gatwick on Saturday. It was late enough that all we wanted to do was get to our hotel. We checked in, had a bite to eat and then straight to bed.
Sunday we headed into London, not knowing where our hotel was, made for a lot of walking and back tracking. I felt for grandma as taking the tube in London can be overwhelming. As things move fast, and you are expected to keep up. But, it was all part of the experience. We checked our bags at the hotel once we found it. Mom and grandma went off to go tour the Tower of London. (I had already done this with dad). I kept myself busy, sitting in the sun in a park and watching the London Marathon. I also enjoyed a Newcastle Brown Ale while sitting along the River Thames! I met up with mom and grandma at the London Eye. A neat experience, but for 18 pounds not one that I would do again. We found ourselves at an Irish pub for dinner, not the greatest. Both mom and grandma were pooped after their long day so it was eat have a drink and crash. We took a tube to get closer to our hotel, but ended up taking a taxi directly to the hotel as it was just too much walking to get there after the long day. I pretended like the walk wouldn't have bothered me, but forget it I was knackered and happy to take a taxi. I should mention the hotel gave us the key to our room so we went up there to open the door and see someone elses belongings, and a messy bed. (thank goodness no one was in there, how embarrassing that could have been). The hotel didn't know what had happened, apparently if your last name is similar to someone elses they just may give away your room, really! It was a complete mix up, we did get a free breakfast the next day.
Monday saw an early rise as we wanted to make it to see the changing of the guards. Breakfast, more walking, two tubes and then more walking! We made it with little time to spare. This was the first time I had seen Buckingham Palace. Not as breathtaking as I had envisioned. The streets were lined with people. Because we weren't right against the palace gates we couldn't see everything. We did see the guards, the band and the horses coming in and going out. I took a picture of where Kate and William will come out and give their first public kiss as a married couple. Speaking of which, it is crazy here with this wedding. Everywhere you go, there is Kate and William's face. Stores all have specials on for the Royal Wedding, pubs are hosting wedding parties, there are street parties scheduled all over. The funniest thing I think I have seen so far is at a butchers, there are two cows, one wearing a bow tie and has William's face and one wearing a veil with Kate's face. (not sure, but I don't think I would like my face on the body of a cow!)
From the palace we made our way to WestMinster Abbey. The line up was at least an hour and half long, with a 16 pound admission. But, well worth it. You can tell they are very busy trying to get it ready for the big day. Cleaning and restoring, cameras being installed. Even on the street there have been bleachers added and stands for tv cameras. It was decided that we had done a significant amount of walking, waiting, standing and sightseeing so we were going to make it back to my town. We had to go back to the hotel pick up our luggage, make it to the train station, take a train and then a taxi to get back to Thame. A quiet night. rented a movie and early to bed.
Tuesday saw us up early to make it to Oxford so we could take a tour through the Cotswolds. Our first stop on the tour was at Blenheim Palace. Now this was a palace, the grounds were absolutely lush. So beautiful, the palace itself was breathtaking. This is the birth place of Sir Winston Churchill. It is still lived in by the Duke of Marlborough. Some how related there is a single male member of the family who is 34. I was looking, trust me! We had lunch in the village called Woodstock. We then left to go through some of the Cotswolds, villages including Minster Lovell, Burford, Filkins, and Bibury. I am in love with this area of England! The beauty is breathtaking. Picture perfect can't describe what I saw. Like Ireland, but because it is later in spring, more lush. How am I going to survive a winter and late spring back in Medicine Hat after seeing this! I am positive that this day has been one of my favourite! We got back into Thame in the early evening. After freshening up we went for Chinese. I was missing some of my friends so we went for a few after dinner drinks. Mom and grandma left me earlier and went home to sit up into the wee hours of the morning setting the world straight.
Wednesday, finally a day off of touring! We slept in and had a very slow start to the day. Mom and grandma went shopping and I tried to get a few things done around the flat. Grandma came back to have a lay down so I went with mom to continue her shopping and to get some groceries for dinner. It was the last night for mom and grandma in my town. We made another one of my favourite family suppers. Sweet and sour meatballs! We stayed in for the night, which was perfect as we knew that Thursday was another big day.
Thursday, mom and grandma packed up their stuff. I packed an additional bag for mom to bring home for me as it is time for me to downsize here. We went to London via train. By this time, mom and grandma had had enough of dragging suitcases on the tube so we just took a taxi to out hotel. I have never been in a place that the streets are so packed with people. It was overwhelming. It almost takes the fun out of things when you are having to be so conscious of all that is coming around you. We did a little shopping but were turned off as the crowds just made it unbearable. Tonight was our theatre night. After making ourselves look gorgeous we headed to the Victoria Palace Theatre where we saw Billy Elliot. This was absolutely wonderful. I recommend it to anyone! I was blown away by the dancing of all of the children. I liked the movie but this was ten times better! Mom and grandma really enjoyed it too. If I have the opportunity to see this show again, I will for sure!
Friday, this is goodbye. It was an early morning as mom and grandma were taking a bus to the airport to catch their plane. It was another sad goodbye, but in reality I am going to be home sooner than later so it was more like I will see you soon.
I really appreciated having had both mom and grandma share in my experience this year. It is not something that I think many people can say they have had. Three generations sharing in laughs and tears as we experience many things together. I am so proud of my grandma she is one amazing women. I think I was more tired than her throughout our trip! There are no words to describe how thankful I am of my mother. She is an amazing woman and I am so grateful for all that she has done for me! I know my experience would not have been the same had both of them not made the trek across the pond to be with me!
It does help that we had great weather the entire time. I am not sure that England is as cold and as rainy as people claim it to be, I think they just say that so that not everyone wants to live here.

No comments:

Post a Comment