Monday, August 23, 2010

Getting Settled!

I apologize for my lack of posts over the past couple of days. I have been busy! Where to start...

I travelled by train for the first time on Friday. I went all the way to have tea with the Queen at Windsor Castle. Can you believe she forgot about having tea with Princess Tiana! So instead I walked around the castle and looked at some very beautiful things. It is too bad that I couldn't take pictures on the inside. The town of Windsor itself is small, but cute. Too see pictures, I will post some on facebook.

Saturday, I got keys to my new flat. I love it! I am so happy to be in my own space. It is slowly coming together. Having an unfurnished place is quite difficult. I have gotten a few odds and ends from a few people. I have also bought a few decorative things to make it my own. As I was putting the sheets on my bed, I had to laugh because I subconsciously bought red and white. Including my duvet cover. (Canadian, eh!) Some of the other things that I bought were a white with purple polka dot teapot. Red wine glasses (essentials) with berry coloured bottoms. A few picture frames so I can plaster all my family and friends all over. I found a great little store that had household things so I bought 3 throw pillows, a purple lamp and a stand up mirror. Needless to say I have spent a small fortune. But, I am here for a year and I need to be comfortable. The people here seem so much more friendlier than in Oxford. Just on my first day, I had many conversations with the shopkeepers, I had a girl personally take me through the grocery store. (I couldn't find anything, everything is in different packaging), I even had a shopkeeper carry my mirror back to my flat with me as I had too much to carry. Like that would ever happen back home. I met my neighbour, I think we will get along smashingly well. She is the manager of one of the oldest pubs in town! My landlord is great, he has already gone out of his way to find me some furniture. So life I think will be grand here.

I went by train to Bristol on Sunday, to meet up with a friend who I met in Saskatchewan. Together we went to a football club, the mall, a local pub and then a bar. It was great to people watch. The clothes that some of the girls wear, wow! I think most boys would like to come and spend some time here. I will have to go back to tour around Bristol. It looked amazing, but very busy. I will need at least a weekend to see more sights.

I must tell you that I had a little scare the other day when I went into my wallet. I didn't have my visa! I remembered that I had used it to buy a mobile Internet stick. I hightailed it back to the store. They had it locked in the safe. WOOHOO!

I'll end with this:
Moving away from everyone: scary as hell!
Going out for supper alone: Very lonely!
Realizing that you have miss placed your visa: Holy %#*&!
But having the Internet so I can share my journey with you: Priceless!

1 comment:

  1. Every time I read your blog I smile and smile....it is so YOU!! I am glad you have found friendlier people and cool stuff for your flat. I think today was your first day of school...how did it go? Can't wait to hear the latest! I have a few challenges again this year, but we are working to smooth things out. LOVE YOU LOTS!!!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete