Monday, August 23, 2010

Rainy Day Brings on Good Luck!

Maybe the rain is my good luck. After having an emotional day yesterday, today has been tremendously better. (Probably why I didn't post anything yesterday).

I have been to my school and met my head teacher (Principal) and she is fabulous. So nice and extremely helpful. She has done nothing but go out of her way to ensure that I will have a place to live. Not only did she and I make multiple phone calls to many letting agencies. She even took me to view a flat.
I believe love at first sight would be the best way to describe my new flat. It is in a little town called Thame. It's high street is super cute. I don't live far from there. It is a loft type place. It is in the end stages of being renovated which makes it even better. I won't spoil all of the details yet, as my description won't do it justice. The flat is obviously smaller than anything you would find back home. It is in an old Victorian house. The kitchen and bathroom are on one floor, the spiral staircase leads up to the main area. It is split by wood beams, but is completely open. I will have to "create" my own bedroom. It has a lot of windows, and my front kitchen window looks onto the main street. Guess how lucky I am? I look out at a brewery. Which probably means more people will want to visit me now. It is however unfurnished but I can live like an university student and take odds and ends to create my space. There is a site here like kijiji, so I should have no problem finding stuff. The groundskeeper at the school is able to pick anything up that I need.

I don't get to move in till next week so a few more nights at the hostel for me. I've had roomies from Switzerland, Singapore, and Taiwan. Unfortunately they have come in after midnight and I haven't had much time to talk to them. Between the late night guests and the construction on the railway outside my window all night, I have had some 'super' sleeps! On Saturday the grounds keeper's wife is coming to get me and I am going to stay at their place in Wheatley for a few nights until I can get into my place. Super nice people. Wheatley and Thame are closer to my school than Oxford so a shorter bus ride. They are both very accessible to Oxford and many of the other centres.

My school is as cute as the pictures were on the website. I haven't taken any personal pictures as they are still finishing up some Reno's. My classroom is small, but perfect. My window opens to the back green space. It is hard to describe it, but if you can feel my energy right now you will know that I am very satisfied. School starts for me on Wednesday Sept. 1st with the students starting on the 3rd. I may go and travel a bit in the next few days now that I know I have lodging.

When I said it was raining I really meant that it has been pouring all day. I should know as I waited for a bus this afternoon, I froze as it passed me without stopping. I didn't realize you had to physically wave at the bus because standing at the stop is not enough. I could even see my breath, it is August, right? The locals are complaining about the weather too.

Tomorrow's agenda is to buy a suitcase, hairdryer and find a mobile Internet stick. I may even get gutsy enough and go for a beer by myself. Strange things may happen to me from across the pond.

1 comment: