Monday, August 23, 2010

Today I was a Tourist




I am having problems putting more than a few pictures on my blog. So if you truly want to see more pictures you are going to have to suck it up and join facebook.
I was finally able to be a tourist today since my housing issue has been resolved. I paid for a tour of the Oxford Castle. The story of the castle is interesting in that it started as a castle, then it was a prison until 1996 (yup, that's right, just 14 years ago and you should see what the rooms were like). Now it is a tourist attraction.
I walked around and toured many of the different colleges and walked down beautiful streets. It was the Oxford that I thought I was moving too. I even shopped today! I bought a new suitcase to replace the blasted one that broke my first day. Guess what colour it is? You guessed it, purple! As I was having an emotional moment of loneliness I happened upon a shoe store! Where I bought my first pair of RUBBERS! and you guessed it black with purple polka dots!
I found out that I get to move into my flat on Saturday! I am super excited as living in this hostel has worn me down. Even if I am sleeping on the floor in the flat it is worth it! I am looking forward to going to a smaller place that is more quaint. Maybe I will actually meet some people that will be willing to talk. I think I will have more confidence to go out there too. In Oxford it is the same as many major cities. Unless you are with others it is hard to have a conversation. In other words it has been a lonely couple of days. I caved today and bought a bottle of wine, which I am enjoying as I am typing this and doing a load of laundry. Yes, I said a bottle for two reasons, it was only 4 pounds more for a bottle than a glass. I am no genius (although, I am in Oxford), but really! Second reason, I deserve it! Who knows maybe I will get some liquid courage and actually go out and have a meal in a hour. (It would be the first real meal that I have eaten here).
I am debating on what to do tomorrow. I think I will hop onto the train and see where I end up!
If you can't read the picture of the sign it does say "The Famous Turf Tavern, an education in intoxication" How fitting!
To all my work colleagues: Enjoy your first day tomorrow!



1 comment:

  1. Hey there sweetie! I LOVED it when you called during our first staff meeting to say you were enjoying a beer --- classic! The pictures you posted were great; just might have to break down and join Facebook to see more. If this comment shows up on your blog, please let me know it worked! For goodness sake don't be shy --- get out there and talk to people! They will love you just like the rest of us do. Hugs and Love!! Diane

    ReplyDelete