Monday, August 23, 2010

Oxford: Oh how beautiful you are!

I arrived in Oxford just before 2pm. Through the rain and sun the drive from London reminded me a lot of the prairies, except there were a lot more sheep farms. We drove past the little town of Wheatly, where my school is based out of. Too cute!

Oxford is chaos, there are people everywhere, and cars driving on the wrong side of the street! I am glad that I chose not to look at driving here. Too be honest the whole cycling thing scares me a bit too!

Got off the bus in city centre, felt pretty good until I realized that I couldn't drag all of my luggage to get to a taxi. I stood on the street and laughed at how silly I must have looked. Just when I thought I got my act together, my one suitcase handle to pull the wheels broke. (no problem it only weighs 50lbs). So now I am really laughing, a young women bless her heart could see I was going nowhere fast and helped me walk to a taxi. As I walked to the taxi my pants got caught on the broken part of the handle and I went down on the pavement right infront of the busy city centre. Oh the humour! Just a minor war wound on my knee. I made it to the hostel and all I wanted to do was have a shower.

I am in a dorm room with 2 other bunks, but so far I am alone. After showering I pulled out my handy adaptor so I could blowdry my hair, only to break my hairdryer. Apparently it is 250V not the 240V that the convertor is for. (I am a little hesitant to plug my laptop in now).

I made it though out to enjoy the pouring rain and some sun walking back to city centre. I was able to buy a phone and get it hooked up. If you want the number please email me and I will send it to you. It costs nothing for me to receive calls anytime of day. So it depends on how your international plan is.

I am sitting in the lobby in the hostel right now, about to start the challenge of finding a place to live. It is buzzing with people of all ages. As the sun(clouds) is going down, I am eagerly anticipating bed as sleeping 3 hours on the plane probably isn't going to help me get anything accomplished tomorrow.

I thought I would get some pictures posted today, but I left my camera locked upstairs so you will have to wait!

1 comment:

  1. Hello my friend! What a comedy of errors u had in yr intro to Oxford --- good thing you have such a great sense of humor! I've never blogged before so I hope this works!!! I loved all yr great descriptions... I can almost see things in my mind when I add in my memories of GB. Thanks so much for the lit colors --- I loved them! (And the photo too). Can't wait to hear about your next adventures. Sending you much love --- I think of you often each day!! Diane XOXO

    ReplyDelete